Langsung ke konten utama

Catcalling is not gantle



Why should women feel uncomfortable whenever they are walking in the street or using public transportation?
Realize or not most women are forced to face the harassment almost every day because of the annoying behavior called “catcalling.” For the offender maybe “catcalling” is a funny joke, but for the victim it feels embarrassing and even can cause trauma.
First, what is catcalling?
Women, I believe you have the experience like this, when you are walking alone, then a crowd of people teases you with irreverent words, Like “hei girl, where are you going?”, “why you just walking alone?” and so one.  Well, it’s totally not funny. And to discuss about catcalling is not something that exaggerate.
Why catcalling is dangerous and can’t be ignored?
Catcalling shows how men are not respect to women. When they say those worlds it means they assume the victims are lower or weaker than them. Just imagine you will never brave to say the irreverent words to someone that you are respect you only do that to people that you think smaller than you.
If you need prove just see if women walking alone from the Jogja Plaza hotel to our campus. Taxi driver, construction workers even men in suit will catcalled women they usually shouting :   “hey nice thigh!”, “how sexy you are”  those words tells that the offender has the right to label and comment on women body, and of course that is  not a compliment, that is condescending.
Ladies and gentlemen catcalling is dangerous. Catcalling can be more extreme if we just ignored that. I have the experience about that.
One night when I was walking down at Pringgodani in front of ESCO restaurant with my friend Odel. Suddenly we felt a motorcycle going slowly behind us and there was a guy made a “ssssss…sssss” sound, I looked back and just tried to ignore but suddenly he rode the motorcycle so fast and spanked my boot. I want to be angry but on the other hand there is a sense of shamed for feeling abused. You can see catcalling just make women feel powerless.
When I asked some people to know their opinion about this case, most of them say that women should keep the way they are using a dress so they did not become the victim.  Is that true? Is that solve the problem? Hmm, my friend who using hijab is still be the victim of catcalling, and when I went out with the oversized t-shirt they still teased me with the embarrassing words.  So it doesn’t not matter with my dress. 
Other said, just keep it yourself don’t mind their words. Just let it go. I think it’s okay when you are walking alone because it’s impossible to fight them back and it’s just spend your energy
But the problem of catcalling is more than that, is not just about how to avoid catcalling but how to stop catcalling. 
I believe catcalling only stop when we brave to talk and move, don’t be shame to share the story, the one who should be shame is the offender not the victim because that show how loser they are. By sharing your story it means you help and tried to empower each other.   For the men who siting here I believe you are not belong to those kind of those men because the offender of catcalling are always uneducated people, but you men as our friends help us to surround this things and tried to talked to your friends your siblings  and said “gentlemen are never do catcalling.” 
 
Thank you.
 




 


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

A Good Daughter

A Good Daughter Jati Theresia Moranca Siregar My birth was their prayer . Vat er sa id I was a D oyenne, Mutter s aid I was a Lilium Casa Blanca . Mutter was a beautiful soul that watered me to be a good lady. She always took good care my hair before I got sleep and hug ed me warmly . She taught me how to be grateful even though we never had a salmon as our lunch or turkey as our diner.  Vater was a knight that order ed me to be a strong as steel. He t aught me to dance in the rain and scream ed against the sound of thunder. I was a free man, he s aid . I gr e w like a flower that was treating with different types of fertilizers, I absorb ed that all and happy to ha d been treated. I knew they love d me and I love d them so much more. My age was already 25 years old, and now we were 990.5 km apart, so here I grew as a flower that they asked. I used my lipstick and inlaid a power on my face, I stopped when I saw darkness around my eyes . “ You

Menciptakan Bahagia Sendiri!

Kadang terpikir nggak sih, kalau semua yang ada di bumi ini, bukan sekedar ornamen yang nggak artinya? Ya, pasti semuanya punya makna; semuanya punya energi. Hukum tarik menarik mengatakan bahwa segala sesuatu yang berenergi akan selalu membentuk suatu kesatuan ‘’kemiripan menarik kemiripan.’’ Dan, hukum tarik menarik ini juga berlaku dalam tubuh kita. Hukum ini beroperasi pada pikiran karena pikiran juga merupakan energi. Jadi jangan anggap sepele dengan ‘’kekuatan pikiran.’’ Sugesti yang otak kita ciptakan bisa menentukan apa yang akan terjadi. Contohnya: ‘’Aku akan mabuk dalam perjalanan kali ini’’, kemudian kamu betulan muntah-muntah selama perjalanan. Percaya atau tidak, semuanya berpusat dari kekuatan pikiran. Maka tak salah jika muncul suatu pernyataan yang mengatakan ‘’Hati yang gembira adalah obat yang manjur’’. Kebagaian hati adalah produk dari pikirian kita yang selalu berpikir baik. Kalian pasti pernah dengar kan, cerita orang tua yang bisa langsung sehat k

Ingin Segera Lulus, September 2018

Selamat pagi, Terima kasih pagi ini sejuk Penghilang lara setelah seminggu yang suntuk Lama aku abai, Rupanya pohon di teras semakin rindang Gerbang biru yang dulu gagah, telah berkarat dan usang. Juni tiga tahun lalu, pedagang kaki lima tak seramai sekarang.. hanya ada gerobak mie ayam dan satu warung tenda biru. Sunyi itu sudah sirna Kini, wajah-wajah baru bermunculan Menyapa kaku dan canggung..rumah ini makin asing Tiga tahun telah berlalu... Hari-hari di Pringgodani kelak akan jadi cerita. pahit manis menempah pribadi baja Aku akan segera bergegas Aku mau berpetualang lebih jauh lagi. ingin segera lulus, 2 september 2018